(Photo: JESSIE FORAND/FREE PRESS STAFF )
Firefighters respond to incident at Fletcher Allen
JESSIE FORAND11:03 a.m. EDT May 2, 2014
An overheated capacitor in a room with high voltage electrical equipment brought fire and rescue vehicles to Fletcher Allen Health Care's McClure Building on Colchester Avenue Friday morning.
The call came in around 9:07 a.m. and fire officials were on scene at 9:09, according to Burlington Fire Department Battalion Chief Aaron Collette.
Something likely became too hot in the affected room, which then caused a smoke condition and set off detectors, Collette said. The incident was isolated to a small area, he said.
Thanks to a specialized fire prevention system, extinguishers discharged the gaseous flooding agent Halon 1301 in the room and left no residue. This feature is designed to protect the hospital equipment, Collette said. Responders donned breathing apparatus and went into the room to find the problem.
Members of the Burlington Electric Department responded to the scene, something that happens regularly when fire calls come in, according to BED Communications Coordinator Mary Sullivan.
The hospital at large was not at risk, as the building is designed to help prevent fire from spreading, Collette said.
Click here for the original story: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/2014/05/02/fletcher-allen-fire-call-burlington/8606079/